Private Security Testing / Training
The Level II Training Course and Test is required of all commissioned, non-commissioned security officer and Personal Protection Officer applicants. The most current version of the Level II Training Course Manual must be used. To order the latest version, please download the PSP-21 (PDF) Order Form.
The Level III Training Course is required for all commissioned security officers and personal protection officers. This training course must be taken through a licensed Level III Training School and taught by a licensed Level III Instructor. A list of these schools is available below.
The Level IV Training Course is required for all personal protection officers. This training course must be taken through a licensed Level IV Training School and taught by a licensed Level IV Instructor. A list of these schools is available below.
The Manager’s Exam focuses on issues of general concern to managers of licensed companies, such as the eligibility criteria for registrations, pre-employment obligations and procedures, application requirements, record-keeping, and the procedures relating to disciplinary actions and administrative fines.
Many questions are also intended to test the manager applicant’s knowledge of the Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 1702 and Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 35, as they relate to the management of licensed companies. Please see Manager’s Exam.
The manager exam is open to any “manager-in-waiting” applicants who meet the following guidelines. This change does not affect the current “qualified manager” requirements found in Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 1702 and Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 35.
- Applicant must have an active registration with a licensed company.
- Applicant must meet the experience requirements required for a qualified manager of any private security company.
Important information to know for a “manager-in-waiting” applicant:
- A “manager” certificate will not be issued.
- Exam results are valid for 2 years from examination date.
- Examination date will be based on availability.
- Applicant will not be listed as a qualified manager unless the applicant meets the requirements and registers as qualified manager.
- A company may only have one qualified manager assigned to their license.